miércoles, 29 de abril de 2015

UNIT 7 LISTENING

WHAT IS LISTENING?

Resultado de imagen para LISTENING
Listening is a receptive skill that involves making sense of the meaningful sounds of language.  This skill is less structured and organized in comparison with reading, it is more fluid. Sometimes speakers use utterances, incomplete sentences and hesitations. The receptor make sense of it through  the understanding of language, the context and the knowledge of the world. O'Malley, Chamot, and Kupper (1989) claim that "listening comprehension is an active and conscious process in which the listener constitutes meaning by using cues from contextual information and from existing knowledge..." (p. 434). As it is a receptive skill, there are several listening sub-skills according with the reason for listening such as: listen for gist, listen for specific information, and listen for detail. Other ways of listening are listening intensively and extensively.   
As teacher, my objective is to facilitate students to develop their receptive skill; for this reason I would apply the three stages of this pattern: First, I would start the class with introductory activities  as pre -teaching key words, and making connection the topic with the students previous knowledge. Then I would continue with the main activities for developing listening sub-kills. Later, I would finish the listening part with post task activities. It includes asking students`opinion about the audio or to relate the text to their own lives.

Nihei, K. (2002). How To Teach Listening.
http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED475743.pdf

Field, J. (1998). Skills and strategies: Towards a new methodology for listening.ELT journal52(2), 110-118.
http://www.lenguasvivas.org/campus/files/0_41/newmethodologyforlistening.pdf


2 comentarios:

  1. I consider that you have included some specific information that make the whole text interesting and easy to understand at the same time, I also think that the information that you have included in your reflection can be so helpful for the reader.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I agree with you about listening skill as an active and conscious process. I believe that the development of it is so useful during the process of a language acquisitions. It takes a very important role and allow to develop also the other skills in a better way, especially speaking.

    ResponderEliminar